Friday, November 30, 2007

Do Not Eat at This Restaurant

Last night we ate at Los Loros, which turned out to be not only the worst Mexican restaurant in Atlanta, but possibly the worst restaurant in the world. My chile relleno was actually a slice of bell pepper covered in ground beef and what I believe was warmed Cheez Whiz. I still feel queasy.

But the place was packed! I was confounded. Why would the restaurant owners make such disguising food, and why would people buy it? Granted, most of the people there were also drunk, but still...

Of course, I've developed a (completely baseless) theory. Eating bad food is nostalgic for Americans. Eating a bell pepper and Cheez Whiz did remind me of my childhood, a simpler time when corn dogs were yummy and American cheese was considered... cheese. Until I was in college, my country was one in which ketchup was the only condiment, where Thai food was unknown, and where our food was marketed as 'cutting edge' rather than, well, tasty. Then along came Grey Poupon, with its uppity commercials that suggested that fancy was good, and Americans began to reevaluate what they wanted out of a meal. We wanted wine that didn't come out of a box, and beer that didn't taste like pee-pee. Now a days, if your a liberal, you never have to eat Cheese Whiz again - there are other options.

Unless, of course, you go to Los Loros. Then Cheese Whiz it is!

1 comment:

Mächtige Maus said...

Careful now...sometimes there is just nothing better than a box of wine!

Since we are talking food, I would like to give a shout out to two restaurants in Knoxville that have added to my enjoyment of this town.

(1)Falafel Hut on the UT campus makes an excellent falafel, especially when you add hummus and feta. Sometimes there is nothing better than a yummy falafel.

(2)Gondolier offers me a not too bad option for chicken souvlaki. It's not quite Cville Cafe Europa, but it works for me.

(3)I'll give an honorable mention to Cairo Cafe for their Middle Eastern fare. I'm not sure if they will make it or not, but I hope so. Where else are we going to get our weekly dose of belly dancing?